India leads most countries in digital payments. UPI aka Unified Payments Interface has contributed to this growth. In many cases, this is much easier than paying in cash. However, it requires an active internet connection to make payments. Imagine you are in a remote area with no internet and no cash to pay. In this case, you can still make payments with minimal network coverage without any issues. Here is how to make UPI payments without internet.
You can use UPI in offline mode from your phone with a USSD code. It is worth noting that the *99# service is available to all mobile users regardless of the model, and it supports both smartphones as well as feature phones. Also, the phone number should be associated with your bank account for UPI payments.
For smartphone users, UPI has little meaning and can use UPI applications such as PhonePe, Google Pay, etc. However, feature phone users can use UPI with the *99# USSD code. Also, this feature is useful for smartphone users who are facing internet problems.
How to make a UPI payment without the internet?
You need to follow the steps below to make a UPI payment on a feature phone or smartphone without the internet:
- First of all, open the dialer on your phone and enter the USSD code *99#, then click the call button.
- You will see a list of options. The first option you will get is “Send Money”, so enter the number 1 and click “Send”.
- Select the information you have received from the payee, such as mobile number or UPI ID or IFSC code or saved beneficiaries. Enter the appropriate number and click Send.
- After that, enter the mobile number or UPI ID or any other details that you have selected and hit send.
- Enter the amount and press send.
- Enter a note.
- Enter UPI PIN and complete payment.
You can also disable UPI USSD codes. To do this, you need to open the dialer and enter the USSD code *99#. Select option 4 “My Profile” from the list, then select item 7 to de-register from UPI. Confirm that you choose to disable USSD code UPI payments.